This Blog is going to be undergoing some changes in the coming days. Don’t get me wrong, I still love to hear myself talk, but I want to refocus a bit on what I hear myself talk about. So here are some things that I plan to change, and things I plan to keep the same.
First, what’s not going anywhere, or else will be more of:
- Advice for online business, just no longer strictly limited to Second Life
- Free cool stuff I made, to download and enjoy, including some of the printables I’ve already added.
- Talk about mental illness and video game addiction. It’s a day-to-day process and I know it helps me to know I’m not alone, so who knows, maybe that will help someone else too.
- The Know-It-All Pages are totally staying, but will likely be updated.
- Occasional sweary rants. Where the fuck else am I gonna?
- Cats. Because we all must do our part to power the Internet.
What’s going, or else you won’t see further:
- Things I made that are on the Second Life Marketplace, largely because I’m not even in Second Life anymore. Because of that I no longer offer support for things I’ve made in the past. The listings will remain, mostly for sentimentality’s sake, but you’re on your own to stumble cheerfully upon them. I’ll be deleting posts here that link to them in the coming days.
- In-character stories. They hearken back to my earliest days of this blog, and were fun at the time, but I think ultimately are a little confusing the way they bleed between RL and RP, as well as more than a little self-serving. And, they remind me of a time in my past that I think I’d do just as well to not remind myself of.
- My personal stuff, except as it relates to the first list.
- Announcements for past events in Second Life will be deleted. Too confusing.
So, in conclusion, if you want to have a record of some of the things I’ve written or listed in the past, get ’em before they’re gone.
Taking your family or Household to an SCA event, and you’re in charge of food? Make life a little easier with this FREE printable menu planner. Download this .pdf, print it out, and you’re off and running! Includes space to write your meal plan, a chart of serving sizes, and a grocery list space.
Click HERE to download
- Do not resell this design, do not upload this design for others to download and claim it as yours. Instead please link here to direct people to it.
- Do not resell printed versions of this design or claim them as yours.
- Free for personal use. Print it and use it as many times as you like. You can give some to your friends for personal use too, but I’d like it even more if you sent them here to get their own. Plus, I mean, it saves your printer ink that way.
- If you like it, tell people where ya got it!
Make sure you’ve bookmarked this site to see even MORE free printables for you and your friends to enjoy.
Got a big Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) event coming up? Here’s a free pre-event checklist, with a classy medieval style, for you to print out and use. I hope you find it greatly useful.
Click here to download!
- Do not sell this design, distribute it with your name on it for free, or otherwise claim it’s yours. Send people here to get it for free please.
- That goes for the printed version too. You can print some out and share them with friends, but I’d like it even more if you sent them here for it. Plus, I mean, it saves your printer ink that way.
- Free for personal use.
- Not all printers, and not all printer ink, is created equal. It may not come out exactly the same colors as you see on the screen.
In years past, I’ve explored SLB (Second Life Birthday) expos and excitedly reported back to you all about the true awesomesauce I witnessed.
But this year, I’m on the wagon. I’m fighting the pull to log back in, which is stronger this time of year than any other. I love me some SLBs. Just… everything about them (except lag) is just the culmination of everything I loved about SecondLife: the creative displays, the excitement, and the people I’ve met and friends I’ve made.
This year, I won’t be able to share a Green Guide with my favorites of the favorites to lead you to… this year, YOU have to tell ME.
So! Today was Opening Day. I long for some pictures and descriptions. I want to know what you were enraptured and fascinated by. If Mistletoe were there with you, where would you take her?
So the next Second Life Birthday is in planning stages. 13 already. Damn. Does that mean that this June would be my 10th rez-day?
SLBs are the hardest time of year for me to keep away from SL, because they’re some of the best of what the grid has to offer all in one convenient spot: a font of creativity and genius, without the Lab putting their dirty hands on it. It’s hard not to miss that; I would be lying if I said I didn’t.
And there are people I miss a lot too. I try to keep up on emails, or chatting with them on Facebook or Twitter, but it’s really not as easy to keep that connection without the medium on which you made the connection in the first place. I want to, though. If you see this and haven’t heard from me in a while: I miss you.
I logged on my alts once, about two weeks or so ago, to shake them down for loose change. It was a little, just under a hundred bucks, and is helping us get through a tight spot. The spots are always so tight these days. My job isn’t going so great, but I’m working and trying to further myself in it. I can’t really afford my hobbies (SCA and LARP) anymore, either in money or in time.
I do have a Fiverr gig going on now, though. After playing Undertale (which a friend got me for Xmas) I’ve wanted to live in an 8bit world a while longer, so I fired up RPGMaker and now I make custom video-game greeting cards for five bucks a pop. Nothing too fancy, but cute as hell: a custom sprite of the recipient solves a puzzle, opens a door, and gets a personalized message from the sender. You should have a look! And if you’re on the evil Book of Faces, you should like my page and share the love!
I’m tempted, speaking of Fiverr, of doing machinima videos of firework greetings like I used to do. But that would mean investing myself in SL again and I don’t think I should do that.
Anyway, that’s what’s going on in my world. What’s going on in yours?
A Twitter acquaintance who goes by @UnseenPerfidy shares an article on what it’s like to live with Type II Bipolar: https://medium.com/@UnseenPerfidy/dealing-with-bipolar-disorder-5ccbe6374228
Now while I don’t share his use for semantics on “being” vs. “having” Bipolar, I think it’s important to talk about. I’ve written on it here in the past, shortly after an online friend took his own life.
When you’re experiencing hypomania or depression, it’s really hard to put into words what it’s like to be feeling them at the time; and @UnseenPerfidy does, in my opinion, a pretty bang-up job describing it. In particular, I can relate to the feeling of impatience when other people can’t “keep up” with me.
I chatted a bit with him on Twitter and asked if addictive behavior is something that he’s noticed with his own Bipolar, and he says, yes. In his case, it was alcohol. In mine, I have such a fear that alcohol will become addictive that I stay away from it altogether. I was the kid who never went to a party in high school, who never got trashed in college, who never went out drinking with co-workers at the end of the day. My own addictive behavior tends to the much less self-destructive, but rather self-hindering (like the many years I spent not studying or getting decent work experience, pissing away my time on Second Life. I still piss my time away on Facebook. I gotta work on that. I’m only elven.)
Now, I’m working a full-time job and it is a decent one, but there are hours and hours I still piss away online. I’m not writing the book that I say I’m writing, for example. I’m not drawing or crafting or much of anything except drooling in front of social media.
So I need to work out a way to really make time to do something else. Replacing undesirable behavior with desirable behavior.
Anyway, check out Rob’s article, you might find it insightful.
OK, so, my post yesterday. I really wasn’t expecting anyone to, like, DO anything. I was hoping, at best, for some “aw dude that sucks” and maybe a handful of Ls if I was LUCKY.
You guys are gonna make me cry and stuff.
My intent was to illustrate having a hard time staying on the wagon, just in case other people struggle too. I guess the moral of the story is, don’t fall off the wagon, talk about the struggle instead. You never know what will happen.