If you take Second Life, but make it quicker and easier to customize your newbie avatar, throw in some free coinage and a “level” system, and remove all ability to create your own content?
You get Avakin Life, a thing I was foolish enough to check out today.
Differences from SL: Free money when you start out, no way to sell content (because you can’t make content). Avatar choices are human and kind of elf (yay). Less laggy. Can’t fly. Animations are AWFUL all around; definitely no MoCap happening here. The environments are all very modern human world, not much in the way of fantasy worlds or NPIRL options.
Similarities: Dancing, teenagers, and Brazilians everywhere. Total strangers try to hit you up even if you don’t speak the same language. You can play for free, but you gotta pay in for the good shit.
Summer days: they make you think of hazy afternoons, lemonade, bare feet, and (for many people, anyway) letters home from summer camp. Call me old-fashioned, but I still love a nice handwritten letter on nice stationery.
Here is a set for you to print out and use for your letter-writing enjoyment: a letter-sized page with light lines, and an envelope you can cut out and glue together to send to that special someone. Both feature a photograph taken by yours truly of a wild summer meadow, full of daisies and tall grasses.
Download either, or both, for FREE below. Just be sure that you don’t resell or reuse this design, or claim that it is yours in any way. And if you love it, tell your friends where you got it!
Happy Summer from Manic Elf!
This Blog is going to be undergoing some changes in the coming days. Don’t get me wrong, I still love to hear myself talk, but I want to refocus a bit on what I hear myself talk about. So here are some things that I plan to change, and things I plan to keep the same.
First, what’s not going anywhere, or else will be more of:
- Advice for online business, just no longer strictly limited to Second Life
- Free cool stuff I made, to download and enjoy, including some of the printables I’ve already added.
- Talk about mental illness and video game addiction. It’s a day-to-day process and I know it helps me to know I’m not alone, so who knows, maybe that will help someone else too.
- The Know-It-All Pages are totally staying, but will likely be updated.
- Occasional sweary rants. Where the fuck else am I gonna?
- Cats. Because we all must do our part to power the Internet.
What’s going, or else you won’t see further:
- Things I made that are on the Second Life Marketplace, largely because I’m not even in Second Life anymore. Because of that I no longer offer support for things I’ve made in the past. The listings will remain, mostly for sentimentality’s sake, but you’re on your own to stumble cheerfully upon them. I’ll be deleting posts here that link to them in the coming days.
- In-character stories. They hearken back to my earliest days of this blog, and were fun at the time, but I think ultimately are a little confusing the way they bleed between RL and RP, as well as more than a little self-serving. And, they remind me of a time in my past that I think I’d do just as well to not remind myself of.
- My personal stuff, except as it relates to the first list.
- Announcements for past events in Second Life will be deleted. Too confusing.
So, in conclusion, if you want to have a record of some of the things I’ve written or listed in the past, get ’em before they’re gone.
Taking your family or Household to an SCA event, and you’re in charge of food? Make life a little easier with this FREE printable menu planner. Download this .pdf, print it out, and you’re off and running! Includes space to write your meal plan, a chart of serving sizes, and a grocery list space.
Click HERE to download
- Do not resell this design, do not upload this design for others to download and claim it as yours. Instead please link here to direct people to it.
- Do not resell printed versions of this design or claim them as yours.
- Free for personal use. Print it and use it as many times as you like. You can give some to your friends for personal use too, but I’d like it even more if you sent them here to get their own. Plus, I mean, it saves your printer ink that way.
- If you like it, tell people where ya got it!
Make sure you’ve bookmarked this site to see even MORE free printables for you and your friends to enjoy.
Got a big Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) event coming up? Here’s a free pre-event checklist, with a classy medieval style, for you to print out and use. I hope you find it greatly useful.
Click here to download!
- Do not sell this design, distribute it with your name on it for free, or otherwise claim it’s yours. Send people here to get it for free please.
- That goes for the printed version too. You can print some out and share them with friends, but I’d like it even more if you sent them here for it. Plus, I mean, it saves your printer ink that way.
- Free for personal use.
- Not all printers, and not all printer ink, is created equal. It may not come out exactly the same colors as you see on the screen.
In years past, I’ve explored SLB (Second Life Birthday) expos and excitedly reported back to you all about the true awesomesauce I witnessed.
But this year, I’m on the wagon. I’m fighting the pull to log back in, which is stronger this time of year than any other. I love me some SLBs. Just… everything about them (except lag) is just the culmination of everything I loved about SecondLife: the creative displays, the excitement, and the people I’ve met and friends I’ve made.
This year, I won’t be able to share a Green Guide with my favorites of the favorites to lead you to… this year, YOU have to tell ME.
So! Today was Opening Day. I long for some pictures and descriptions. I want to know what you were enraptured and fascinated by. If Mistletoe were there with you, where would you take her?
So the next Second Life Birthday is in planning stages. 13 already. Damn. Does that mean that this June would be my 10th rez-day?
SLBs are the hardest time of year for me to keep away from SL, because they’re some of the best of what the grid has to offer all in one convenient spot: a font of creativity and genius, without the Lab putting their dirty hands on it. It’s hard not to miss that; I would be lying if I said I didn’t.
And there are people I miss a lot too. I try to keep up on emails, or chatting with them on Facebook or Twitter, but it’s really not as easy to keep that connection without the medium on which you made the connection in the first place. I want to, though. If you see this and haven’t heard from me in a while: I miss you.
I logged on my alts once, about two weeks or so ago, to shake them down for loose change. It was a little, just under a hundred bucks, and is helping us get through a tight spot. The spots are always so tight these days. My job isn’t going so great, but I’m working and trying to further myself in it. I can’t really afford my hobbies (SCA and LARP) anymore, either in money or in time.
I do have a Fiverr gig going on now, though. After playing Undertale (which a friend got me for Xmas) I’ve wanted to live in an 8bit world a while longer, so I fired up RPGMaker and now I make custom video-game greeting cards for five bucks a pop. Nothing too fancy, but cute as hell: a custom sprite of the recipient solves a puzzle, opens a door, and gets a personalized message from the sender. You should have a look! And if you’re on the evil Book of Faces, you should like my page and share the love!
I’m tempted, speaking of Fiverr, of doing machinima videos of firework greetings like I used to do. But that would mean investing myself in SL again and I don’t think I should do that.
Anyway, that’s what’s going on in my world. What’s going on in yours?